A Winter Camp is no ordinary camp. Because of the cold and wet conditions, we will probably experience, we will all need to take special care of ourselves. This doesn’t mean we can’t have fun, it just means we should ‘wrap up warm’. All your kit needs to be clearly named and wrapped in plastic bags, then the whole lot ‘bin bagged’ before going in the rucksack. The queues on arrival can be legendary and it is possible you and your kit will be outside during check in. You don’t want to spend the weekend with wet kit.
Below is a suggested Winter Camp Kit List. Any Items in red are mandatory. Quantities where shown should be regarded as a minimum. That means you MUST have them. Anything else shown is optional but recommended. It cannot be stressed too strongly that it is vital that each Scout packs their own kit and is fully aware of what they bring with them.
- Two sleeping bags, or sleeping bag and blanket
- Roll mat
- Warm hat
- Waterproof Jacket
- Waterproof Trousers
- Scarf or Headcover
- Waterproof walking boots or shoes
- 2 Vests or thermal tops
- 3 T-Shirts
- 3 thin long sleeved tops
- 2 jumpers, hoodies, or fleeces
- 5 pairs socks
- 2 track suit bottoms or thermal bottoms
- 3 pairs trousers (not jeans)
- Torch with spare batteries
- Survival bag
- Personal wash kit
- A supply of suitable bags (not dustbin bags) for separating wet and dirty clothes from clean and dry ones.
You will need to include a complete change of clothes, including footwear, for travelling home. You may get very muddy!